Thursday, September 18, 2008

Genesis

So I have this delightful neighbor who is a self-described humanist. Rarely have I come across a more unique personality-- down-to-earth, all-accepting despite her small-town upbringing, a hippie born a generation too late. She and I are very different in so many ways. Yet among our close-knit neighbors, we seem to be kindred spirits. She once called me her Zen friend. For the purposes of this blog, I shall call her Hippie.

Hippie and I share an affinity for things enviro-conscious, especially recycling. She introduced me to Freecycling, a Craig's List/town dump hybrid that's based on the idea that you don't have to toss everything once you're done with it. Heck, someone else might want it and be able to put it to good use! I logged on (www.freecycle.org) and was instantly hooked.

Get those rich CEOs of Pfizer and Astra-Zeneca on the line. I have found a non-invasive, drug-free, 100% effective cure for pack-rat-atosis with no side effects except that delightfully empty space in the corner. Squee! I've also discovered a way to exorcise my demons (minus the priest and all that creepy stuff.) Thank you, Hippie. You've restored my faith in my ability to bring order to the universe.

No comments: